Big Guide to Drawing Cartoon Cats and Kittens with Basic Shapes
This guide will show you how to draw many different cats…all with simple geometrical shapes, letters, and numbers. If you can draw numbers and letters than you can also draw these comic-styled cats and kittens. There are several cat drawing tutorials below and you can take bits and pieces from each of these tutorials to creatively design your own kitty cat cartoon characters.
First – Lets Think About What Characteristics Real Cats All Have
When drawing a cartoon characterization of an animal, you first have to think about what sort of ‘features’ or ‘characteristics’ that type of animal has. So lets first look at a cat … most cats will have the following features:
(1) Fur – sometimes with stripes or other patterns
(2) Four Legs with Paws
(4) Triangle-like nose and mouth
(6) Their Pupils usually look like slits
As we draw our cats, we can play with some of those features to make silly looking creatures. But, as we do this, we have to make sure that the drawing always looks like a cat. Think of cartoons as caricatures of people and animals. Get as silly and playful as you want to. DRAWING SHOULD ALWAYS BE FUN!!!
Several Simple Shaped Comic Cats Lessons
This is one of our large guides, so within this lesson you will find six different cartoon cat drawing tutorials. All of these tutorials are simple enough to draw these cats in under 10 steps. Find these step by step drawing tutorials below:
CAT #1: DRAW A CAT WITH A NUMBER 8 SHAPE
Here is a simple cat drawing with a number 8 shape. Follow these directions to draw her too.
(1) Draw a #8 shape.
(2) Draw upside down letter ‘V’ shapes for ears. Draw ovals for eyes.
(3) Draw upside down letter ‘V’ shapes inside each ear. Draw a triangle pizza slice for the nose.
(4) Draw a sideways number ‘3’ shape under the nose. Draw an oval in each eye. Draw 2 ovals (sideways #8 shape) for the feet.
(5) Draw 2 capital letter ‘E’ shapes on each side of the face. Draw a #6 shape on the left side of the body.
(6) Draw 2 inward curved lines above the feet. Draw a line between them. Draw letter ‘C’ shapes for fingers.
(7) Erase any lines that aren’t needed any more and darken the lines that you are keeping. If you want, draw triangles on her body.
CAT #2: DRAW A CAT WITH A CAPITAL LETTER D SHAPE
Here is another simple cartoon cat to draw. This one might be even more simple than the first cat. Wow your friends and teach them how to draw it too.
(1) Draw a capital letter ‘D’ shape.
(2) Now draw a sideways capital letter ‘D’ shape on top of it…the top can be a bit rounded.
(3) Now draw triangle upside down letter ‘V’ shapes for ears. Draw a triangle pizza slice nose.
(4) Draw a triangle in each ear. Draw a sideways number ‘3’ shape below the nose. Draw two letter ‘C’ shapes in the body as shown.
(5) Draw small filled in ovals for eyes…and curved lines above them for eye brows. Draw a rounded sideways letter ‘A’ tail.
(6) If you want, make more stripes on the tail. Fill in the nose and ears if you want.
CAT #3: DRAW A CAT WITH A NUMBER 3 (or Heart) SHAPE
This cat is a bit harder so if you can’t draw it, don’t get too frustrated. We will break it down into basic shapes for you and just try your best.
(1) Draw a sideways number ‘3’ shape or a heart.
(2) Then draw an upside down number ‘8’ shape on top of it. Draw 2 circles or ovals for eyes.
(3) Draw arrow shapes for ears…or an upside down letter ‘V’ with a line thru it. Draw a pizza slice triangle nose. Draw a letter ‘T’ shape in the middle of the body.
(4) Draw a sideways number ‘3’ shape at the bottom of the ‘T’ shape from the last step. Draw an oval in each eye. Draw a sideways #3 shape under the nose.
(5) Draw another oval in each eye. Draw a letter ‘E’ shape on each side of the face. Draw a number ‘3’ shape on each side of the cat for the back feet.
(6) draw letter ‘c’ shapes in the paws for fingers. Draw a question mark shape on either side of the ‘T’ shape from step #3.
CAT #4: DRAW A CAT WITH A RECTANGLE SHAPE
Here is another cat, this one is more simplified and is really quite silly to look at. He looks like he is doing the Cha-Cha (a type of dance). This cat is based upon simple shapes so I think you should be able to draw it…find out how below.
(1) Draw a rounded rectangle ( in other words – the rectangle’s lines are a bit curved).
(2) Draw upside down letter ‘V’ shapes (or triangles) for ears. Draw a pizza slice triangle for a nose.
(3) Draw 2 filled in ovals for eyes. Draw a triangle in each ear. Then draw a bunch of ovals around the body as shown.
(4) Draw a sideways number ‘3’ shape under the nose. Connect the oval on the left to the body with letter ‘S’-like shapes. Draw curved letter ‘L’ shapes for the left arm.
(5) Draw letter ‘c’ shapes for the fingers and toes. Draw ovals in the right paw. Draw dots for whisker pores and draw 3 lines on each side of the face for whiskers. Draw lines for legs and the right arm.
(6) Darken the important lines and erase any of the guidelines that aren’t needed any more (my guidelines were in blue).
CAT #5: DRAW A SLEEPING CAT WITH A CAPITAL LETTER D SHAPE
This cat is a little bit more complicated but it isn’t so hard to do once you get the basic shapes down. This cat is sleeping on a counter or a window sill or something like that. Find out how to draw him with the following instructions.
(1) Draw a sideways, capital letter ‘D’ with an oval for the head.
(2) Draw triangle ears and a sideways number ‘8’ shape for eyes.
(3) Draw a pizza slice triangle nose and a downward curved line on the eyes for the eyelids. Draw a few ovals.
(4) Draw a sideways letter ‘V’ on the right ear and a curved line on the left. Draw an upside down ‘V’ under the nose. Draw a number ‘2’ shape over the back foot. And connect the back-most oval to the body with letter ‘S’ shapes.
(5) Draw a bunch of curved letter ‘L’ shapes to connect the ovals to the body (these are legs).
(6) Draw a letter ‘c’ shape curve for the right-most paw. Also draw letter ‘C’ shapes for fingers / toes.
CAT #6: DRAW A HAPPY STANDING CAT WITH A NUMBER 8 SHAPE
Could this kitty cat be any happier? I don’t think so..this cat is in a state of pure joy and he just wants to play air guitar or dance around the house. Learn how to make this happy cat by sketching the base of his body with the number ‘8’ shape…find out how below.
(1) Draw a number ‘8’ shape.
(2) Draw upside down letter ‘V’ shaped ears (or triangles). Draw a few ovals.
(3) Draw upside down letter ‘V’ shapes inside each ear. Draw pizza slice triangle nose.
(4) Draw a sideways number ‘3’ shape below the nose. connect the tail to the body with letter ‘s’ shapes. Connect the other ovals to the body with lines.Draw curved lines for eyes.
(5) Draw ovals in the right paw. Draw dots beside the nose. Draw letter ‘c’ shapes for toes on the paws.
(6) Darken the lines that you are keeping and erase the guidelines that you don’t need any more.
Now it is time to mix and match what you have learned and make up your own cartoon cat character creations. Post your cat drawings – we would love to see them. Make them funny by adding funny captions. Have fun!!!
You Might Also Enjoy