Learn how to draw Hiccup riding on Toothless’ back with the following easy-to-follow, step by step drawing tutorial. We will guide you thru each step by showing you easily with geometric shapes, letters, and numbers.
How to Draw Hiccup and Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon and Dragons Race to the Edge
Draw a sideways letter ‘D’ shape.
- Draw another sideways letter ‘D’ shape under the first one.
- Draw the basic shapes that make up Hiccup’s form.
- Draw a letter ‘U’ shape for Hiccup’s face.
- Draw guideline thru Toothless’ face.
- Draw eyes and nostrils using the guidelines to place them correctly.
- Draw the bottom of Toothless’ eyes.
- Start drawing the mouth…it is sort of like a smushed letter ‘m’ shape.
- Draw the dragon’s ears and horns.
- Draw guides in Hiccup’s face to help you place the facial features later.
- Draw his neck line.
- Draw Hiccup’s eyes by drawing leaf shapes.
- Outline Hiccup’s arms and draw ovals for his fingers.
- Continue adding to Toothless’ eyes.
- Draw curved line for bottom of dragon’s mouth.
- Draw guidelines by drawing inward slanted lines … this will be Toothless’ body.
- Draw circles in Hiccup’s eyes. Draw oval nose and curved line for mouth.
- Draw letter ‘C’ shapes for shoulders and neck line.
- Draw Letter ‘C’ shapes on Hiccup’s legs.
- Draw inside of Toothless’ eyes.
- Draw two circles in each of Hiccup’s eyes (look like #8 shapes). Continue drawing his mouth, ears, and nose.
- Draw letter ‘V’ like shape on his left foot. Continue drawing his shoulders.
- Draw letter ‘C’ and #3 shape on sides of dragon’s face. Draw circle in each of his eyes.
- Draw some guidelines on dragon and on Hiccup.
- Start drawing the dragon’s wings.
- Draw sides of Hiccup’s shirt. Draw a sideways letter ‘E’ shape in his mouth for teeth.
- Draw ‘v’ shapes on dragon’s forehead.
- Draw a sideways letter ‘J’ shape for Hiccup’s shield.
- Continue to draw small details.
- Here is a closeup of Hiccup’s face for details.
- Draw letter ‘V’ shapes for Hiccup’s hair.
- Continue to draw all the details..there are too many to mention.
- Start drawing all of the straps.
- Draw over some of the guidelines with black like I did.
- Continue drawing the hair.
- Continue drawing the straps and metal stirrups.
- Finish up the hair.
- And the final details.
Finished Black and White Line Drawing of Toothless and Hiccup
Erase any remaining guidelines and darken / thicken up remaining lines. Lightly draw some odd oval shapes on the dragon’s face and legs.
And in Color
If you are brave, you can add in some color.
I hope that this drawing tutorial helped you with drawing Hiccup and Toothless. Come back for more drawing tutorials soon!